To cut down or to quit ...
If you're considering changing your drinking, you'll need to decide whether to cut down or to quit. It's a good idea to discuss different options with a doctor, a friend, or someone else you trust.
Quitting is strongly advised if you:
- try cutting down but cannot stay within the limits you set
- have had an alcohol use disorder or now have symptoms
- have a physical or mental condition that is caused or worsened by drinking
- are taking a medication that interacts with alcohol
- are or may become pregnant
If none of the conditions above apply to you, then talk with your doctor to determine whether you should cut down or quit based on factors such as:
- family history of alcohol problems
- your age
- whether you've had drinking-related injuries
- symptoms such as sleep disorders and sexual dysfunction